West End Drive-In

Route 22 at N.15th Street Exit,
Allentown, PA 18102

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Showing 2 comments

dallasmovietheaters on August 29, 2015 at 2:44 am

E. M. Loew’s Theatre Circuit Inc. of Boston purchased land in 1954 to build the West End Drive-In, to open in late summer at a cost of $200,000 at 1501 Mauch Chunk Rd. Picketers delayed the progress and the theater opened in October of 1954 filling its 1,000 car capacity with another 200 cars accommodated in additional parking area. Allentown’s mayor Brighton C. Diefenderfer cut the ribbon along with E.M. Loew and ozoner manager John J. Scully Jr. No evidence to support late 1940s opening in aerial shots until 1954. The drive-in was demolished and as of the mid-2010s the land was occupied by three car dealers.

bwmoll3 on July 30, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Two Drive-Ins were built in the Allentown area in the late 1940s after World War II. The Boulevard was opened on Union Boulevard in East Allentown; the West End off the 15th Street Exit of the Leigh Valley Throughway (Route 22).

Operated successfully for many summers. Usually open between May and October. Had just simple pole cord speakers you hung on the car window. No heaters so that limited the season to the warmer months. Had nightly shows at dusk during the week. 2d shows on Friday and Saturday nights Concession stand with all the normal drive-in fare for food.

Closed in the 1970s and redeveloped. Now Rothrock Nissan