Von Lee Cinema
517 E. Kirkwood Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
Built in 1928 as the Ritz Theatre by local investors, the Von Lee was renamed and reopened in 1948 by the Vonderschmitt Theatres chain.
A spacious single-screen cinema now converted into three smaller auditoriums, the theater rests on the border between historic downtown Bloomington and the Indiana University campus.
Purchased in 1976 by Kerasotes Theaters, operations were suspended in 2000 as the company built two multiplexes in the city, making the historic cinema expendable to their operations.
Now owned by the City of Bloomington, the Von Lee has been the center of various community efforts to reopen or otherwise "Save The Von Lee", and it has also since been designated a historic site.
However, it has remained dark since October of 2000 and the auditorium has been demolished. Offices have been built on the site, while the front section of the theatre severs as a restaurant.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater