No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the North Seaton district of Ashington, Northumberland, on the corner of Newbiggin Road and Milburn Road, across from The Elephant Hotel. The Ashington Hippodrome was opened around 1911, and served as a variety theatre, with a seating capacity for 1,500. The proscenium was 26 feet wide. It had a 20 feet deep stage and two dressing rooms. From the early days it screened films on the Waller Bioscope Co. machine.
It closed as a live theatre around 1920, and was taken over by Northumbrian Cinemas Ltd. and converted into a full time cinema, although variety performances were still a part of the programme. In 1930 it was equipped with a British Talking Pictures(BTP) sound system.
In 1943 it was taken over by the Wallaw Pictures Ltd., and they fitted a Duosonic sound system. CinemaScope was fitted in 1955, with a 25 feet wide screen installed.
The Hippodrome Cinema was closed on 31st December 1960. It stood empty and unused until 1970 when it was destroyed by fire.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater