No one has favorited this theater yet
The Regal Cinema was built in 1929 and opened in January 1930 with Laura La Plante in “Showboat”. It was designed by Swansea based architect W. Crocker. The plans included a café & ballroom adjacent to the Regal Cinema on a site which had been used as a fairground, but these were not constructed until 1933 when the café opened in July 1933 and the Ritz Ballroom opened in 1934.
Kinematograph Year Book 1931 listed the proprietors as Standard Cinemas Properties Ltd. of Birmingham with the sound system being Western Electric(WE). In KYB 1942 this had changed to Fairbank Cinema Company of Cardiff and RCA sound; and the seating was quoted as 1,775. KYB 1947 had the same information; as did KYB 1954, though the seating had reduced to 1,740 (due to CinemaScope, perhaps). The Regal Cinema was closed in September 1960, and went to other uses. The building was acquired by the local council in 1970, and the Regal Cinema was demolished to build a new council administration block.
The adjacent property now houses “Terry Griffiths' Matchroom”, a snooker venue. Their web site refers to the venue as the “Ritz Buildings” which previous to them housed the ballroom and cafe.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater