Ufa Palast Lichtspiele
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the heart of the old Medieval city centre. The Universum Lichtspiele was opened in 1929. Designed by architect Fritz Nathan, the façade of the building had a 7-story Art Deco style tower, which contained offices and an adjacent department store. This distinctive building was a landmark in the city centre for several decades. The auditorium of the Universum was the largest in Mannheim, and had seating in orchestra and balcony levels. The Universum was equipped with a Walcker organ, which was played regularly for many years. In 1930, soon after its opening, it was taken over by the Ufa chain of cinemas and re-named Ufa Palast Lichtspiele
Both the Ufa Palast and the Capitol cinemas survived World War II, and after the war, the Ufa Palast was taken over by the American authorities until 1953. The organ was removed in 1953. On September 16, 1955 it was equipped with CinemaScope and four-track Stereophonic sound. The Ufa Palast was closed on 30th June 1966.
The adjacent department store required more space and the building was demolished to build a new department store, which was built in 1966. Today it is the Galeria Kaufhof.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater