Tivoli Theatre

806 Main Street,
Jasper, IN 47546

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 1 comment

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on April 5, 2019 at 6:59 am

The Tivoli Theatre launched by Joseph W. Gutzweiler on August 16, 1924 with Gloria Swanson in “The Humming Bird” and live vaudeville. The venue was built on the site of Kunkel Hall which was built in 1884 and razed in favor of the theatre in 1923. Architect M.F. Durlauf designed a steel-structured building whose front was comprised of white buff brick and Bowling Green limestone trim which apparently made a nice upgrade to Kunkel’s. Gutzweiler would go on to create the long-running Astra Theatre, as well.

The facility also housed the popular Tivoli Soda Fountain and Drug Store. That store became Poe’s Drug Store followed by Beckmann’s during the theater’s run. The Tivoli ran until July 19, 1970 when it closed with “The Grasshopper.” Almost immediately thereafter, Kersteiens Construction removed the sloping floor and seats to transform the building for other retail purposes. It would become Schneider’s Furniture and Carpeting store which expanded into the former theater’s spot.