1807 S. Allport Street,
3 people favorited this theater
One of the centerpieces of the 18th Street commercial corridor of Chicago’s Pilsen neighborhood, the Thalia Hall opened in 1892. It was built just before the Columbian Exposition, and designed in graceful Romanesque Revival style, including a heavily ornamented terra-cotta facade, with storefronts along the ground floor at Allport and 18th Streets, as well as apartments on the upper floors. The building was designed by architects Frederick E. Faber and William F. Pagels.
Originally a meeting hall for the mostly-Bohemian original populace of the Pilsen neighborhood (named for a large Czech city), the Thalia later became a venue for live entertainment, then, finally, a movie house.
Though the theatre has been closed for decades, the Thalia Hall remains relatively intact, and would make a wonderful community center or performing arts venue for the newly-resurgent Pilsen neighborhood, which is the heart of Chicago’s Latino community.
It was reopened in 2014 as a concert venue.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater