Moonlight Drive-In

Missouri J and Co Road 406,
Hayti, MO 63851

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Help us make this street view more accurate

Please adjust the view until the theater is clearly visible. more info

Moonlight Drive-In

The 61 Drive-In was opened on June 10, 1949. Car capacity was listed at 200. It was renamed Moonlight Drive-In in 1955 and closed in 1958. It had been demolished by 1969.

Contributed by Chris1982

Recent comments (view all 6 comments)

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on November 7, 2018 at 7:28 am

For the 1955 to 1958 seasons, the theatre was renamed the Moonlight Drive-In Theatre. The theatre was purchased with the two indoor theaters as a group and does not have appeared to re-opened after the 1958 season.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on April 25, 2019 at 7:12 pm

Launched at the 61 Drive-In Theatre on June 10, 1949 by John Mohrstadt who also created an amusement park with mini-train there.

MichaelKilgore
MichaelKilgore on May 21, 2019 at 1:59 pm

From the May 7, 1955 Motion Picture Herald:

Gene Boggs, who operates the Joy and Missouri theatres in Hayti, Mo., has changed the name of his drive-in from the “61” to “Moonlight.”

Kenmore
Kenmore on May 21, 2019 at 3:46 pm

If there was a drive-in along HWY 61 in or near Hayti, it must’ve been totally demolished and unrecognizable by 1969. Any information about its possible location would be helpful.

MichaelKilgore
MichaelKilgore on May 21, 2019 at 6:09 pm

Based on a 1952 USGS aerial, the then-61 was about a mile and a quarter south of Hayti on US 61, now Missouri J, the outer road west of I-55. Google Street View in October 2016 showed a couple of unrelated, undermaintained small buildings by the road there now.

Kenmore
Kenmore on May 21, 2019 at 8:16 pm

Based on the aerial provided by NeonMichael, a close address is Missouri J & Co Rd 406, Hayti Township, MO. The drive-in was about a quarter-mile north of the intersection on the west side of what is now Missouri J.

By 1969, the drive-in was demolished. The 1969 aerial does show what might be the projection booth/concession stand intact, but it was totally gone by 1980.

Today, there are a couple of buildings and a private residence on the property. There is no trace of the drive-in remaining.

https://tinyurl.com/y3dm274m

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater