215 W. 5th Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Oxnard Daily Courier reported on June 28, 1911, that K. Knudson was given permission to place a folding electric sign on the sidewalk in front of the Levy building, yet to be erected. The 9-foot long sign would read: ‘The Roosevelt Theatre'. On July 7, 1911, the Daily Courier noted that a contract had been awarded for the construction of the Levy building, designed by Paul Staples. The Roosevelt Theatre opened on September 16, 1911. There had also been a previous Lyric Theatre in Oxnard, which advertised in the Courier from 1908 to about 1915.
On December 11, 1913, the Daily Courier published a photo of the Roosevelt Theatre and its owner Knud Knudson. On January 15, 1915, it was announced that the Roosevelt Theatre was officially closed and was attached by Mr. Levy by virtue of a mortgage. On January 16, 1916 after an extensive remodeling, both inside and out, it opened as the Lyric Theatre and was purchased the next October by Guy Douthwaite. Mr. Douthwaite was the future developer of the Pico Drive-In Theatre in Los Angeles.
Evidently the Lyric Theatre closed in June of 1929, and the New Boulevard Theatre’s advertisement said that they would now honor guest tickets for the Lyric Theatre. In August of 1929 it was announced that Canning’s Shoe store was moving into the former Lyric Theatre building. The Film Year Book of 1927 listed the Lyric with 400 seats.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater