Joy Theatre

Oak Street,
Lathrop, MO 64465

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

The Lathrop Theatre was opened May 18, 1923. The original theatre seated 230 but closed in 1933. In 1936 it was renamed Tri-Town Theatre.

In 1938 a new theatre was built on the site of the old Lathrop Theatre with seating increased to 305. It retained the Lathrop name until 1945 when it was renamed the Joy Theatre. The theatre closed June 22, 1953.

Contributed by Chis1982

Recent comments (view all 1 comments)

dallasmovietheaters on February 12, 2018 at 1:50 pm

This might be a bit closer to the theatre’s timeline using the local paper and trade press:

P.W. Goodson & Son opened the Lathrop Theatre in the existing Lowry Building on May 18, 1923 ending the run of the inferior Star Theatre. The theatre was likely on a ten-year lease and remained silent to ending its film run in 1933 playing very out of date films.

The theatre housed live events over the next three years including political rallies, school functions, and minstrel shows. Bill Waer took on the theatre in 1936 to modernize the venue renaming it the Tri-Town Theatre which closes quickly.

George A. Owen relaunched the venue as the “new” Lathrop Theatre on May 8, 1937. As another ten year lease lapsed, a new operator, W.W. Weldon of Kansas City, refreshed the venue relaunching as the Joy Theatre on August 19, 1944.

James Wolf purchased the venue in 1947 and returned it to its original name of the Lathrop Theatre. The theatre closes on June 22, 1953 after thirty years of operation with a break during the Depression. A salvage sale in 1954 including plank converts the Lowry Building from theatre to level-floor retail building.

Note: Opened and closed as the Lathrop Theatre – so title should be that with Joy Theatre as a previous name.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater