1339 N. Paulina Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Gumbiner Bros.
Firms: Rapp & Rapp
This Wicker Park neighborhood theater, which opened in 1913, could seat over 800 in its auditorium. The Paulina Theatre was located on N. Paulina Street, off the then-and-now thriving N, Milwaukee Avenue commercial corridor, next to the former flagship location of the Wieboldt’s department store chain (converted into office and retail space several years ago).
The Paulina Theater was built for the Gumbiner Brothers circuit. On October 2, 1948 it suffered damage by a fire which destroyed the stage and damaged the auditorium. Repairs were carried out and it had reopened by August 1949. It contained a 16-rank Wurlitzer organ that was removed prior to the theater’s closing in June 1951, and, partially rebuilt, combined with parts of a Kimball organ from Philadelphia’s Uptown Theatre, had seen frequent use at the Gateway Theatre in the Jefferson Park neighborhood, when it was until recently home to the Silent Film Society of Chicago.
The theater was demolished years ago, after having been converted into a bowling alley after its movie days ended, and its site is now the parking lot of a Jewel Food store.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.