57 S Kellogg Street,
6 people favorited this theater
When the Orpheum Theatre opened on August 22, 1916, it was called a veritable house of enchantment.
Designed by Rapp & Rapp in the Second Empire style of 19th century France, George Rapp called it a shrine to democracy, where the wealthy rub elbows with the poor. The theater’s interior was designed in the French Renaissance style, complete with gold leaf and ornate plasterwork. The exterior was a pastiche of neo-classical and French Second Empire styles.
The Orpheum has hosted such performers as The Marx Brothers, Harry Houdini, George Burns and Gracie Allen, and most recently, Mickey Rooney (Aug 2001). By the 1930s, the Orpheum was showing movies and did so until showing its last film in 1982. In 1988, after a $2 million restoration project, the Orpheum was brought back to its former splendor and returned to live performances once again.
The Orpheum is now host to the Prairie Players Community Theater, the Knox-Galesburg Symphony Orchestra, and many touring performers. Tours are available and visitors are welcome. It is conveniently located just off of Interstate 74.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater