Highway 39 Drive-In
7901 Trask Avenue,
5 people favorited this theater
When it opened on June 29, 1955, the Santa Ana Register called this one of the largest drive-ins in the West because of its 1,600 car capacity and a screen almost ten stories high. As Orange County’s fourth drive-in, this Pacific Theatres' snack bar was six times larger than normal and had counter space almost a quarter block long. The opening attraction was James Stewart in “Strategic Air Command”.
When it closed on March 31, 1997, the 56-year history of Orange County drive-ins came to a close. Out of eleven drive-in locations in Orange County beginning with its first, the Orange in 1941 to the Stadium built in 1970, the Highway 39 was beaten only by the Orange Drive-In in its longevity but it has the distinction of being the last to go, outliving the seven ozoners that were built after it. Among the movies playing on its three screens on closing night were “Private Parts” and “Beavis and Butthead Do America”.
A Lowe’s and Wal-Mart store were later built on the site by the real estate division of Pacific Theatres.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater