7924 Lincoln Avenue,
3 people favorited this theater
Originally opened as the 425-seat Niles Center Theatre in 1915, in the village of Niles Center, IL. It was built by Samuel Meyer. In 1942 it was remodeled, the front steps and balcony were removed, the theatre was enlarged and a new facade in a classic Art Moderne style was added. Renamed the Skokie Theatre, the village had changed its name from Niles Center to Skokie in 1940. This single-screen movie house with its brown & white checkboard facade was for many years a first run house, but in the last couple of decades, closed and opened a number of times. The Skokie Theatre was screening a mix of art/foreign film, second run commercial fare, and Bollywood movies when it closed for the last time in fall of 2004.
The theatre was acquired in spring of 2005 by the Skokie Theatre Music Foundation (then called the Cavalcade of Music Foundation), based in the Chicago suburb of Kenilworth, which has converted the Skokie Theatre into a 148-seat concert venue for various styles of music. Renovations, have included new lighting and sound systems, repairs to the exterior, and making the building handicap accessable. The marquee has also been restored and relit. It was closed on December 31, 2011.
It was reopened in April 2012 as the Skokie branch of the popular Bucktown neighborhood’s Gorilla Tango Theatre, now called the Gorilla Tango Bucktown. In Skokie, the program features sketch, improv comedy, burlesque and other live entertainment. In April 2015 it was taken over by Madkap Productions and renamed Skokie Theatre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater