Wirrina Drive-In

Walter Road W. and Collier Road,
Morley, WA 6062

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Wirrina Drive-In

Located at the corner of Walter Road W., Collier Road and Johnsmith Street. The Wirrina Drive-In opened on 24th March 1959 with “Fast Company” and “Seven Hills of Rome”. The name Wirrina is said to be an aboriginal word meaning ‘somewhere to go’. The drive-in was built by Metropolitan Cinemas Pty. Ltd. for R. Yelland. It could accommodate 500-cars and there was an enclosed seating area which had 600-seats.

The Wirrina Drive-In closed on 30th April 1980 with “Outlaw Blues” and Bo Derek in “10”, after being taken over until their replacement was built - the Aceway Drive-In(also in Morley). The equipment was transferred to the new drive-in. The site is now the carpark of (Myer part of) Galleria Shopping Centre.

Contributed by David Coppock

Recent comments (view all 3 comments)

davidcoppock
davidcoppock on April 7, 2017 at 8:10 am

The Wirrina Drive-in was opened by Mr J. G. Woteko JP, chairman of Bayswater Road Board.

davidcoppock
davidcoppock on August 28, 2018 at 9:16 pm

Also had a 600 seat lounge. The bio box was on top of the snack bar.

film
film on October 1, 2020 at 7:19 am

Wirrina Drive-In Walter Road W. and Collier Road, Morley, WA

Fact Sheet #

A projection box and control room built above the concession building and a 600-seat lounge building for the convenience of nearby residents and riders of motor scooters are among the unique features of the 500-car Wirrina Drive-in… Seating in the lounge is positioned to give maximum view while the high-sited control-room allows drive-in officials to keep a close watch on the functioning of every part of the theatre and to correct any problems which may arise without delay. Spacious concession building backs the patron lounge and provides a wide variety of foodstuffs and confectionery, etc.

A receptionist is also on duty to provide reading and writing materials for patrons. Children’s playground is located near the concession building for utmost convenience and includes a miniature train among its attractions for youngsters… Color tones throughout Wirrina are attractive, an unusually effective touch being provided by the foam rubber seating in the lounge with its green backs and red seats.

Dominating the Wirrina scene is the screen which stands 60 ft above the ground and is stressed with steel and concrete. Measuring 32ft by 90ft it is believed to be the only screen of its type in Australia and is designed to give the brightest and sharpest picture possible. (Film Weekly, 2 April 1959)

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater