Wittenoom Theatre Gardens
3rd Avenue and King Street,
1 person favorited this theater
The first films in Wittenoom were free 16mm screenings for the asbestos mine workers in Wittenoom Gorge(South of Wittenoom) begining before 1947. The first screenings in Wittenoom(township) were in 1948 at the site where the Open Air Gardens were later built on 3rd Avenue at the east corner of King Street. The Wittenoom Theatre Gardens were opened in(1951?). The Wittenoom mine closed in 1966. As television reception was not available in Wittenoom until August 1987, the Open Air Cinema was an important entertainment venue, and it was only the gradual departure of the population that made the commercial screenings no longer viable, till in 1978 the Open Air Cinema closed.
After that, the Parents and Citizens association screened films weekly for several years, but that too, eventually stopped. The building was demolished early in 1996, along with most of what still remained of the town. All that was left in 1997 was the general store and a few houses – and signs warning of the dangers of asbestos dust.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater