329 8th Avenue NE,
1 person favorited this theater
The Cairo Drive-In was built in 1950 by C. Spurgeon Dunn, Ellison Dunn and Jim Camp. It held 450 cars. The screen tower was 60 feet tall and 60 feet wide. When CinemaScope came out, wings were added to the side to make the screen 90 feet wide. The theater was located on 10 acres of land, the drive in occupied approximately seven acres and the rest was landscaped. It had its own greenhouse.
At one time the screen tower was occupied by an outboard motor/boat dealership and service center. In 1963, the drive was purchased by a local car dealer with the intention of demolishing it and building a new dealership on the land. Instead of doing this, he built further down the road and operated the drive-in for about one year, after which he rented it back to the Dunn family. Larry Bearden rented the drive-in in 1978.
In 1984, the land was sold to a developer for the building of a shopping center. During the period of 1978 to 1984, Larry Bearden had a televesion repair shop in the screen tower, along with an office, storage rooms, and a speaker repair shop.
The site is now occupied by a Wal-Mart; however, one pole remains next to the highway which held a driveway light.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater