119 N. Vermillion Street,
7 people favorited this theater
The Majestic Theatre first opened July 29, 1907 presenting ‘High Class Family Vaudeville’. It was rebuilt in 1921, with a seating capacity for 915, but closed in 1927.
The Majestic Theatre was reopened on May 9th 1936 with Frances Farmer in “Too Many Parents”. It was operated by Publix. The Majestic Theatre was closed in May 1955, and the building was condemned as being unsafe.
In the late-1960’s it was taken over by Robert Norris and was reopened, with plans to renovate the building, but these plans came to nothing, and the theatre closed again.
It was later taken over by the Kerasotes Theatres chain, and was renovated and restored. In 1980, an adjacent former funeral home was converted into a second screen. Closed again on October 1, 1995, it was slated for demolition. In 1997, it was purchased by Tim Burke, and in November 1998 it reopened screening Classic movies in both screen. There was a covenant placed on the theatre by Kerasotes forbidding the screening of first run movies for a 10-year period. The theatre went into use as a concert venue from February 2002. It became a first-run movie theatre from May 2007.
This 500-seat Art Deco style theatre certainly lives up to its name, especially its impressive neon-and-lightbulb lit marquee, and is one of the jewels of downtown Streator. It is currently used for a mix of movies, concerts and other live events.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater