18 W. 6th Avenue,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Bob Holmes opened the Theater Royal on November 14, 1914, with Mary Pickford in “The Eagle’s Mate".
In March of 1925 the Emporia Gazette reported that Mr. Holmes had sold the Royal to Capitol Enterprises of Kansas City, Missouri. The new owner, who operated 29 theaters in Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska, planned a complete remodel. In April 1926 Capitol Enterprises sold its theaters to Universal Theaters Corporation, a subsidiary of Universal Films.
While owned by Midwest Theatres, the Royal Theater closed in 1929 and continued to be used for public meetings and boxing matches. The Gazette noted that Fox Theatres held the lease for many years even though the theater was dark. Fox finally exited their lease in 1936 when the former theater was remodeled into a grocery store.
Film Daily Year Books show the Royal Theatre as being operated by Fox West Coast and then Fox Midwest and was last listed in 1928 with 400 seats.
The demolition date is unknown but today the former Royal Theater is a parking lot.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater