County Electric Theatre
No one has favorited this theater yet
The first and least known of the three full time cinemas to operste in Lewes during the twentieth century was the County Electric Theatre in Watergate Lane.
During 1910 a Mr Albert E. Souch of Brighton took over the premises of an abandoned print works and employed Edward Birch of Brighton as architect and Arthur Reed, also of Brighton as the builder.
It never converted to sound and closed in 1929 and was immediately acquired by the Lewes Players who put on their presentations there until a compulsory purchase order meant that they had to abandon the former cinema in 1936. It was demolished and the site used to build a council chamber as an extension of their property next door.
The Lewes Players found new premises in a derelict chapel in Lancaster Lewes, which became Lewes Little Theatre. The Lewes Players were wound up in 1992 and all of their interests transferred to the Lewes Little Theatre committee. The Lewes Little Theatre continues to this day.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater