5700 N. Belt West,
10 people favorited this theater
The Skyview opened in 1949, with the film “On Our Merry Way”, and could accomodate about 700 cars. It was (and still is) part of the Bloomer family chain of theaters (BAC Theatres). It was only one of two drive-ins that the family actually built, along with the Cahokia in Alorton.
The 60-foot screen was destroyed in a 1955 storm and replaced by a 115-foot one, which was supposedly the largest in the Midwest at that time.
In addition to movies, the Skyview offered a kiddie playground with pony rides, miniature train rides and a small Ferris wheel. Another storm in 1981 damaged the 115 screen, and it was replaced by a somewhat smaller one. A second screen was built not long afterward, making the drive-in a twin. The Skyview installed a radio sound system in 1995.
The theater’s season runs from April-November, and it is now the only remaining drive-in still in operation in the St. Louis region.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater