301 S. Jefferson Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Liberty Theatre opened on November 1, 1920. Notable dates in the history of the Liberty Theatre were: 1954 when Cinemascope was installed, 1962 when the theater was desegregated and black patrons were no longer required to enter through a side door and sit in the balcony, 1965 when the Frisina chain’s booking of “Kitten With A Whip” stirred the conservative residents.
Wayne and Virginia bought the theater as a package deal with the Little Dixie Drive-In. The Robinsons shut down the drive-in and opened the Cinema 3 out on the edge of town, drawing the patrons from the Liberty. The last movie to play at the Liberty was “Night Shift” on September 30, 1982 and only drew a handful of patrons.
The Robinsons tried to keep the theater useful, but an organization they loaned it to trashed the interior beyond repair. A car dealer needed to expand with more parking, and the Robinsons were made an offer and took it. The theater was demolished in November of 1995.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater