1226 Fillmore Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The American Theatre opened on December 31, 1909 as part of the block square Chutes Amusement Park, the fourth and last of the Chutes enterprises that were once amusement playgrounds in San Francisco from the late-19th through the early-20th century.
Within a few years, the rest of the attractions that made up the park faded into history when the park was destroyed by fire on May 29, 1911, but the original theatre structure remained, and re-opened on September 4, 1915 as the Lyric Theatre, after a remodel to the plans of architect James Rupert Miller. Alterations were carried out in 1920 to the plans of architectural firm Reid Brothers.
It was renamed the American Theatre around 1925 (no relation to the American Theatre on Market Street, which, by that time, had gone through its own series of name changes, and is now best remembered as the Embassy Theatre).
As the American Theatre, it served the Fillmore Street neighborhood as a low-priced, last run film theater for about thirty years, finally closing in the mid-1950’s. It was torn down soon afterwards as part of the neighborhood redevelopment project.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater