Moderne Theatre

110 N. Locust Street,
Stanberry, MO 64489

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Showing 4 comments

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on February 7, 2018 at 5:22 am

The Family Theatre opened in 1909 likely on a 5 year lease with moving pictures and songs. In July of 1910, under new owners, the theatre changed to the Park Picture Parlor. In November, under new operation, it changed to the Princess Theatre mixing in a few live events with the predominate motion picture operation.

In 1914, it renewed is lease for 20 years and on April 28, 1929 switched to talkies with “The Carnation Kid” under F.M. Meyer. A new lease in 1934 brought new ownership. Re-launching June 30, 1934, new operator J.J. Huston remodeled the operation with new projection and improved sound as the Huston Theatre.

Under new operator T.A. Spurgin, the name was changed June 18, 1937 to the Moderne Theatre in a name contest in which actor Wallace Beery picked from the entries. After more than 30 years under his guidance, Spurgin closed the Moderne on January 3, 1969. Rex Eckard reopened the venue as the Stanberry Theatre operating it from 1970 to closing on December 8, 1974 with “Mr. Majestyk” likely at end of lease. The 65-year old theatre does not appear to have reopened. It was then used as storage.

Chris1982
Chris1982 on October 19, 2014 at 2:25 am

The correct address for this theatre is 110 N. Locust Street, Stanberry, MO. This address will map properly. The Princess was listed as open in the 1920’s. It became the Huston Theatre in 1937 and a year later in 1938 it became the Moderne Theatre and kept that name until it closed. It was still open in the late-1950’s. The header should read Moderne Theatre with aka’s of Princess Theatre and Huston Theatre.

deleted user
[Deleted] on January 31, 2005 at 5:56 pm

I show 118 W Main St as the address for this theatre.

sbeckard
sbeckard on January 31, 2005 at 3:04 pm

Stephen Eckard and Susan B. Eckard have sold the Princess Theatre building to Charles and Patsy Lawson as of January 31, 2005. It had served as a warehouse for Eckard’s Home Improvement since 1973. The Lawsons plan to rebuild the entryway porch in the original design. We have a photo from 1920. Susan Eckard