10 S. San Mateo Drive,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Hyman Levin opened the Regent Theater on May 4, 1915, with Ethel Barrymore in “The Nightingale” and Lillian Gish in “The Lost House".
The San Mateo Times on February 19, 1977, published a story by Donald Ringler chronicling the silent screens of San Mateo and Burlingame. The Regent Theater, designed by W.D. Shea, was the first “swank” theater and was contracted to play Adolph Zukor’s Paramount Pictures.
Ellis Arkush was a later operator the 600-seat Regent Theater and in 1925 sold one-half interest in his theatres to West Coast Theatres. The Regent Theater closed September 11, 1927, after Mr. Arkush’s purchase of the San Mateo Theatre.
On October 13, 1932, the Regent Theater was reseated, redecorated and reopened under new management as family budget house. After a brief name change to the College Theatre then back to the Regent Theater, it was out of the listings after December 31, 1933.
Fox West Coast Theatres used the building as warehouse for many years. According to the Times on December 8, 1953, remodeling had begun to convert the former theater to offices.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater