Karlstrasse and Taunusstrasse,
Frankfurt am Main
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the Sonstige area in the west of the city centre, across from the main Frankfurter Hauptbahnhof (Central railway station) on Bahnhofs-Platz. The Albert Schumann-Theater was opened on 5th December 1905. It was a purpose built theatre specifically designed for circus and variety performances and also included film, revue and opera in its programming. Berlin based architects Kristeller & Sonnenthal designed the theater in a Jugendstil style, with total seating for 5,000 located in orchestra level (the circus ring), tiered seating surrounding it, and a balcony. Films were regularly screened from 3rd March 1906 when Noggeraths Royal Biograph was presented. The building also contained a Wintergarden cabaret room and several restaurants one in a Dutch style and a wine bar in a French Renaissance style. By 1925 it was operated by Ufa and was the largest cinema in Frankfurt.
The auditorium and stage house of the Schumann-Theater was destroyed by allied bombs on 22nd March 1944. Leaving only the front of the building intact which contained the retaurants and wine bar, these were used by American troops from 1945 until 1958 as a leisure facility. The ruins and the front of the building were demolished in 1961. In 1965 a bank and office building was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater