516 N. Howard Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Located adjacent to the Mayfair Theatre, and built on the site of the Academy of Music. The Stanley Theatre was Baltimore’s largest theatre, opened on September 23, 1927 with Billie Dove in “The Stolen Bride”. Organist Ernie Cooper was at the console of the Kimball 3 manual, 31 ranks organ. The Stanley Theatre was coldly beautiful and had 1,860 seats in the orchestra, 1,800 in the balcony, 280 in the mezzanine and 60 in the boxes. It felt remarkably like an overdecorated railroad station, and despite its grandeur was never overwhelmingly popular or successful. In August 1928 it was leased to Loew’s Inc. The World Premiere of “Tarzan the Ape Man” starring Johnny Weissmuller was held at the Stanley Theatre on March 11, 1932. Loew’s Inc. relinquished their lease to Stanley-Warner in April 1934. In February 1955 the World Premiere of “Battle Cry” starring Van Heflin was held at the Stanley Theatre.
It was taken over by Morris Mechanic in February 1958 and was renamed Stanton Theatre on April 30, 1959. It screened its last film in March 1965, and following a month long run of the stage version of the musical “Oliver”, it finally closed on April 17, 1965. It was demolished in July 1965.
The spot where once the Stanley Theatre stood is now a parking lot.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater