No one has favorited this theater yet
The Idle Hour Theatre was a vaudeville house in downtown Franklinton. A competing motion picture theatre movie theatre, the No-Name Theatre, launched in 1913. Under economic pressure, the Idle Hour Theatre added short films before going out of business. When the No-Name Theatre burned down in 1916, it moved into this location before closing, itself, in 1918.
Apparently, movie fans had to drive to Bogalusa for films. Tired of the commute, the popular Waverly Club – which had hosted some screenings at the former No-Name Theatre – was convinced by the community to relaunch movie operations in the space twice a week beginning in 1920. It ceased operations in 1930.
The Waverly Theatre appears to be wired for sound in the 1930’s and is home to Welch’s Theatre (sometimes shown as Welsh’s) and the Rose Theatre. Attempts to properly convert the space to widescreen in the 1950’s end up poorly and with a lawsuit. As a result, the space was discontinued in the 1950’s for film exhibition.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater