Chestnut Station Cinemas
830 N. Clark Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Styles: Art Deco
News About This Theater
The Chestnut Station Cinemas opened in December 12, 1983 by Essaness inside what had previously been a US post office building designed in Art Deco style in the 1930’s. The six-screen movie house was located on N. Clark Street at W. Chestnut Street in the Near North Side neighborhood.
During the early-1990’s, the theatre gained notoriety when a young woman was shot and killed in front of the theatre, and the theatre was known throughout the 1990’s of notorious for gang activity and the quality of films went down. During the mid-to-late-1990’s, the Chestnut Station Cinemas was one of a couple Chicago venues which hosted film festivals, including the Chicago Latino Film Festival and the Chicago Gay and Lesbian Film Festival. It was closed in 1999.
The former theatre was demolished in 2003 to make way for a planned Jewish community center which never came to fruition, and the property remains a vacant lot today.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.