Rush Theatre

874 N. Wabash Street,
Chicago, IL 60611

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Circa 1975 as The Candy Store, photo courtesy of Eric Kromelow.

Viewing: Photo | Street View

Located in what was formerly known as McCormickville, in Near North neighborhood. This small theatre stood on N. Wabash Street between E. Delaware Place and E. Chestnut Street. The Rush Theatre was open by April 1972 and lasted until 1974.

Housed in a former coach house, which was later converted into office space in the 1940’s, then starting in 1956, a series of nightclubs, starting with the Scotch Mist, later known as the Rat Fink and then the Alley, it would be converted into an adult cinema in 1972. After the Rush Theatre closed, it became the Candy Store, a notorious strip club, which was a frequent target of police raids in the 1970’s & early-1980’s. The Candy Store was finally closed in 1983.

It was later demolished and the Hotel Sofitel Magnificent Mile opened on the site in 2002.

Contributed by Bryan Krefft

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on November 30, 2013 at 9:27 pm

The above address is incorrect. The Rush Theatre was located at 874 N. Wabash, not Rush. Conners Park has been a park since 1848. Google Conners Park on the www.ChicagoParkDistrict.com website for it’s history. The Alley, Rat Fink, Scotch Mist & Candy Store listed above were also all at the Wabash address. A photo of the Candy Store in 1976 can be found on a search of the Candy Store name, Chicago and the year on a website called Gapers Block.

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on April 22, 2014 at 10:06 am

Here is the 1976 photo as The Candy Store.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7ex03Kg2w1rvs8d8o1_500.jpg

DavidZornig
DavidZornig on March 13, 2017 at 6:22 pm

June 22nd 1987 article about the demise of the Candy Store.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1987-06-22/news/8702150905_1_soft-drinks-rush-street-corporate-charter

okcray
okcray on July 15, 2017 at 4:45 am

Whether it is the true opening date or not, the first ad for the Rush Theatre appeared in the Chicago Tribune on Friday, April 21, 1972. Featured movie was NICOLE, plus three featurettes and a cartoon.

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1972/04/21/

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater