1026 N. Rush Street,
4 people favorited this theater
The Carnegie Theatre was located on Rush Street, an area once notorious for its seedy nightclubs, bars, and illicit activities, but today better known for its many eclectic, upscale eating establishments.
The Streamline Moderne-style movie house, opened December 3, 1949 in an existing structure, originally as the Telenews Theatre (another Telenews Theatre, which opened a decade earlier, was located on State Street next door to the Chicago Theatre, and was later known as the Loop Theatre). Just over a month after it opened, the Telenews Theatre dropped its newsreel policy and was renamed the Carnegie Theatre.
The Carnegie Theatre hosted the first Chicago International Film Festival, in 1965, with directors King Vidor and Stanley Kubrick and screen legend Bette Davis on hand to receive awards. In 1966, it suffered damage from a fire which spread from an adjacent restaurant. The building was rebuilt and reopened on October 12, 1967. In its last years, the Carnegie Theatre was screening a mix of both art and commercial movies. “A Man and A Woman” ran for sixty-three weeks and also the Carnegie Theatre had exclusive Chicago premiere runs of “Young Frankenstein” and “Silent Movie”.
The theatre was closed in fall of 1986. A restaurant has since been opened on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater