1204 N. Dearborn Street,
4 people favorited this theater
Opened in 1913 as the New Dearborn Theatre, later just the Dearborn Theatre, this theater stood at the corner of Division Street and Dearborn Street. Originally, the theater’s main entrance was on Division Street (40 W. Division), but was later moved to Dearborn Street.
The Dearborn Theatre was remodeled in 1934 by the firm of Pereira & Pereira. By the 1940’s, the Dearborn Theatre was known as the Surf Theatre. In September 1964, the Surf Theatre closed and was reopened later the same month as the Playboy Theater, which was originally known for screening eclectic and offbeat films. It also was one of the venues which hosted the Chicago International Film Festival during its early years.
In 1976, the Playboy Theater was renamed the Chelex Theatre, and in 1979, the theater was renamed one final time, as the Sandburg Theatre, which screened repertory films. The Sandburg Theatre lasted until April 1983, when it was closed.
A Walgreens was later built on the site of the theater.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater