Windsor Theatre

1225 N. Clark Street,
Chicago, IL 60610

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

| Street View

The Windsor Theatre was opened as part of the Lubliner & Trinz circuit on May 9, 1914. It was one of the earliest projects from the firm of Rapp & Rapp. The theater was later run by the H & E Balaban chain. It was located on Clark Street near Division Street, in the Gold Coast neighborhood.

The theater was remodeled by the firm of Pereira & Pereira in 1936. The Windsor operated into the late-1950’s, and was razed by 1961.

Today the site is occupied by condominiums and retail.

Contributed by Bryan Krefft

Recent comments (view all 7 comments)

John P Keating Jr
John P Keating Jr on December 22, 2003 at 3:18 pm

Wasn’t the Windsor on the east side of Clark Street? If so there are condos and a Blockbuster store. The Jewel is on the west side of the street.

beecbee
beecbee on April 24, 2004 at 3:47 pm

Yep—it was on the east side of he street. Right to the south of it was “The Shooting Gallery” which was equivalent to the videogame rooms of today. I worked in the ticket counter/popcorn concession.

Broan
Broan on April 8, 2006 at 3:19 pm

According to records at the Chicago Historical Society, this was one of Rapp & Rapp’s earliest projects.

Broan
Broan on April 26, 2006 at 2:55 am

It was built on the site of a nickelodeon, the Lincoln, that had burned down.

Broan
Broan on December 29, 2007 at 5:10 pm

The Windsor featured a balcont and stage.

Broan
Broan on June 7, 2008 at 8:33 pm

In 1934 a modernization in a chinese theme by Pereira & Pereira was announced but not carried out. In 1936 a more extensive, $70,000 plan by the same firm was used,

“Gay colors and new materials will be features of the exterior. Blue will be the prevailing hue. The interior will be entirely rebuilt, with new seats and a new lounge and restrooms in a space acquired for that purpose. The present boxes will be removed. An enlarged air conditioning system will be installed.”

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on March 16, 2012 at 1:32 pm

The principals of Pereira & Pereira, the firm that did the 1936 remodeling of the Windsor Theatre, were William Pereira and Hal Pereira. Percival Pereira was an older architect who was never a member of this firm.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater