107 West 11th Street,
4 people favorited this theater
Located on the south side of historic Lamar Square. The Plaza Theatre opened on October 25, 1934 with great fan fare. Every major studio at that time sent representitives for opening night. Telegrams were sent from Clark Gable, Joan Crawford, Mae West, Al Jolson and many others. The Plaza Theatre was designed by architect Larry P. Larsen of Webb City and originally seated 600. It was remodeled in 1945 to the designs of architect Robert O. Boller and had a seating capacity of 587.
Closed in 1986 when a fire at a clothing store next door forced the theatre to shut down. With no funds available and condemation inevitable, a group of local citizens and business owners stepped forward to head a committee to save this historic theatre. After 10 years+ of negotiating and fund raising, the Plaza Theatre reopened on November 5, 1998. Still a single screen, with original hand painted murals on canvas tapestries hanging on side walls. Various designs and decor throughout the building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater