29 Kendall Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Opened in 1902 by the Gorman Brothers, this was Framingham’s first theatre. Variety acts, stage shows, as well as movies were on the bill. The Gorman Brothers on occasion would bring their famous diving horses, which competed, in carnivals and circuses around the country to their Framingham theatre until their retirement years when they moved the horses to the Benson Animal Farm in Nashua NH.
An Esty Organ was installed in 1925. Sound was installed in 1929. By the 1940’s it was operated by the George A. Giles Co. In 1947 it was closed for renovation to the plans of architect Harry J. Korslund, reopening nine months later by General Cinema which also had aquired the St. George Theatre around the corner, and were in the process of building the first shopping center theatre in the country, the Cinema at Shoppers World.
The Gorman Theatre closed April 30, 1970.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater