207 Bank Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Majestic Theatre opened May 16, 1912 designed to present both vaudeville and films. The films quickly proved to be a hit for owner William Cassell and he had the stage removed in 1914 to expand the house by 100 seats. It played the World Premiere of the short film, “A Vermont Romance” shot in Burlington. The Wurlitzer organ was a consistent feature and played by Art Brown for many years.
The Maine and New Heampshire Theatre Circuit took on the theatre and would remodel the theatre as it added air handling and sound technology. Talkies debuted on May 6, 1929 when the Majestic Theatre became the first Burlington theatre with sound equipment. Crowds packed the auditorium repeatedly to see and hear “The Wolf of Wall Street” and the De Forest Phonofilm technology. The status of the theatre changed just a year later when the Flynn Theatre opened in 1930. The Wurlitzer was moved to the Flynn Theatre and organist Brown moved there. The Majestic Theatre became the second-tier theatre in town.
Much of the original look of the theatre was lost during a January 6, 1946 fire. It was redecorated but the theatre struggled as the television era began and a local mill closed. The Majestic Theatre shuttered on November 6, 1954 after showing “Martin Luther”. After a salvage sale, it was demolished for a gas station in 1956.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater