Garfield Picture Theatre
51 Main Street,
2 people favorited this theater
The Garfield Picture Theatre was opened on 22nd December 1924 with a ‘Grand Ball’. It was built by Martin O'Donohue. It had 800 seats, all on a single floor. In 1923 one of the first films to play was Rin Tin Tin in “Where the North Begins”. In May 1931 it was equipped for the ‘talkies’. It went through several independent operators over the years and was closed in 1962. It re-opened in 1970 and operating weekends only, it closed on 1st January 1974. The building then became a furniture store for many years.
It was purchased in 1999 by local residents Fred & Susie Perez who have spent almost a $million refurbishing the building over 17 years. It re-opened on 3rd July 2016 and presents live performances and public functions. It is hope that a digital projector will be purchased in 2018, to allow movies back in the building again.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater