No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in Mullingar, County Westmeath. Tom Healy was granted a Cinematograph Licence in May 1914 and set up a cinema on one side of Dominick Street. It appears that he moved the business to an old shirt factory on the other side of the road in 1931, behind where Dolan’s Bar is situated now, and named it the Coliseum Cinema. It was then fitted with a Napier sound system and had 450 seats, although this was recorded as 680 by 1949. By the mid-1950’s it was run by County Cinemas, in unison with the Hibernian Cinema, and had a Western Electric(WE) sound system. It closed in 1957 for alterations and although it did reopen it seems not as an actual cinema. This seems to be associated with problems over the projection box.
The next few years saw a series of concerts staged, a carpet sale and even a carnival, although it is still shown in the 1971 edition of the Kine Year Book with 314 seats. It was demolished in April 1989 and the site is now occupied by Mojos nightclub. Prior to Tom Healy’s business, films were shown in the Parochial Hall in Church Avenue between 1900 and 1910.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater