127 N. Clark Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened on April 1, 1912 as the Palace Music Hall and operated by the Orpheum Circuit. Abraham Lincoln “Abe” Erlanger acquired the lease in January 1926 and remodeled the theatre.
It reopened as the Erlanger Theatre on October 10, 1926. It was primarily a legitimate theatre house, but it did screen 3 films in it’s 50 year history, per the book “Downtown Chicago’s Historic Movie Theatres” by Konrad Schiecke: “Wings” on October 30, 1927. The premiere of Noel Coward’s “Cavalcade” on February 8, 1933. “The Great Ziegfeld” on April 10, 1936. “King of Kings” & “The Life of Emile Zola” were also screened here.
It closed March 10, 1962 with a stage production of “Bye Bye Birdie” and was demolished not long after with the rest of the block to build the Chicago Civic Center, now Richard J. Daley Center.
The neighboring RKO Grand Theatre had already been torn down in April 1958. Additional history credit Brian Wolf, Ron Salters, Ray Martinez, Bryan Krefft and Bryan Patrick.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater