75-79 East Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Savoy Cinema opened 1st August 1930 by Associated British Cinemas, and was designed in an Art Deco style by Wiliam R. Glen. It’s interior had a Japanese theme and had 2,300 seats, increased to 2,630 seats in 1948. Unusually, the cinema had an underground car park with 300 places. Additionally, it had two restaurants, two cafes and, at one time, a dance hall. The cinema was re-named the ABC Cinema in 1963 and suffered various changes of name until it reverted to being the ABC Cinema in 1997. The cinema can be seen in some scenes of the film “Quadrophenia”.
The cinema was closed in 1999 and was converted into a casino, restaurant, bars and, eventually, a night club which has ceased functioning. Only the Grosvenor Casino section was open in summer 2007. It uses the building’s secondary entrance on the sea front located at 9 Grand Junction Road. By 2011, the main entrance on East Street and foyer was in use as a Chinese restaurant.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater