Grosse Freiheit 39,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the city centre district of St. Pauli, in front of the famed Reeperbahn. The former Ballroom Sternsalle (Star Room) was converted into the Stern Lichtspiele which opened on 4th June 1949. It was operated by Leltheda Iderhoff & Walter Carun screening action and mainstream films. The Stern Lichtspiele contained a stage in front of the screen and 740 seats in orchestra & balcony levels. On the facade was a big ‘star’ with the word ‘KINO’ on it. In 1956 it was equipped for CinemaScope and 3D was added. The size of the screen was 10x 4.6 meters. The Stern Lichtspiele was equipped with Erneman VII B projectors and a single channel sound system by Klangfilm. The Stern Lichtspiele was closed in 1961.
In 1962, Manfred Weissler opened the Star Club in the former cinema, presenting live music and many top name artistes appeared here including: Bill Haley, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jimi Hendrix, Fats Domino, The Ratles, Jerry Lee Lewis, Black Sabbath and of course The Beatles. The Star Club was closed on 31st December 1963.
Later, Rene Durands opened the Nightclub Salambo which closed in 1997. The building was demolished. A new building on the site houses a lap-dancing club.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater