1616 Saint Michaels Drive,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The St. Michaels Village Shopping Center was constructed in late-1972 and contained a Jerry Lewis Theatre. But by the time of its opening, the Jerry Lewis Theatre concept was in financial shambles. The Coronado Company’s proposed Lewis project Santa Fe theater opened as the St. Michaels Village Theatre on March 6, 1974 with “Night Witch” starring Elizabeth Taylor.
The theatre had a variety of operators in a thirty plus year operating cycle. Cinema Operators of Denver took on the theatre but selling it to Bill Whaley who changed it to a repertory cinema. A renaming contest led to the theatre’s new moniker of the Pickford Theatre. The Pickford Theatre ceased operations on March 1, 1976.
Ralph Lindell purchased the property renaming it as the Capital Theatre opening May 7, 1976 with Richard Boone in “Against a Crooked Sky”. Commonwealth Theatres took on the Capital Theatre in September of 1977 and operated for nine years. Blue Pearl Circuit took on the venue renaming it the Grand Illusion Theatre launching on November 28, 1986 with “Mona Lisa”. Among the Grand Illusion’s sceenings was “The Last Temptation of Christ” which drew picketers.
Trans-Lux Movies Corp. took on the operation closing it on January 31, 2002. The theatre then became the Cinemacafé which ran under its operator until June 24, 2003. New operators rebranded as the Film Center at Cinemacafe until closing on October 28, 2008. Screenings came back to the venue as the Cinemacafé in the 2010’s on a sporadic basis. It then became a full-time restaurant before closing in 2017.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater