62-68 Eldon Street,
3 people favorited this theater
The Gaumont was a rather bland replacement of the former Empire Palace of Varieties/Gaumont (which had been destroyed by fire in early-1954). It was opened on 27th February 1956 and was designed by the firm of T. P. Bennett & Son. What it lacked in ornamentation it made up for in comfort and spaciousness seating 706 in the stalls and 532 in the circle.
It was twinned in 1980 (having been renamed Odeon in 1962) and still shows first run movies on its two screens which seat 636 and 419.
However, long held plans for a multiplex could well have brought the cinema in Eldon Street to darkness. The Odeon closed on 17th September 2005 and it seemed that was the ‘last picture show’ in the building. Almost two years later it was taken over by an independent exhibitor and re-opened as the Parkway Cinema on 8th August 2007.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater