289 River Street,
5 people favorited this theater
The American Theatre opened as a movie house in downtown Troy in the early-1920’s. It had a virtual twin, the State (Rose) Theatre on 4th Street which was torn down in the 1960’s for a parking lot.
By 1941, the American Theatre was operated by Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp., followed by the Fabian Theaters chain in the late-1940’s. It converted over to adult films in the late-1960’s when it was taken over by a local operator, John Capano, and showed them until March 2006 when the theatre was raided by the police and closed down. The theatre lobby and auditorium are still very original. The original marquee was still on the building, modified with electric lightboxes, when it was removed by the city, citing a safety hazard.
Bow Tie Cinemas and Bonacio Construction, a local developer, are working on a historic renovation that will see the American reopen as a single-screen, luxury cinema by the fall of 2018. Architect for the American and new 9-plex on the same block is Christiano Pereira, who designed several other Bow Tie Cinemas locations.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater