3320 Yonge Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Odeon Fairlawn was the first Odeon theatre in Toronto to be built by the British cinema chain J. Arthur Rank Organisation through their subsidiary Odeon Theatres Canada. It was opened in 1947. It was a lovely neighbourhood theatre in North Toronto and for many years showed films along with the other Odeons in the city. During the 1960’s it was Odeon’s main roadshow/reserved seat house where it had many long runs including “Lawrence of Arabia” (moved up from the Odeon Carlton), “Lord Jim”, “Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines” (50 weeks), “Funny Girl” (68 weeks), “The Blue Max” etc.
During the 1970’s it was the exclusive theatre in Toronto for Sensurround (remember that?) where it showed “Earthquake”, “Midway” and “Rollercoaster”. About 1977 it was twinned like the Odeon Hyland and Odeon Humber before it and continued showing major new releases in both dowstairs and upstairs theatres.
The Odeon Fairlawn had a nice long lobby running along the front of the theatre with a large picture window looking out on to Yonge Street. At the far end of the lobby was a small art gallery/lounge which added to the charm of theatre. The Odeon Fairlawn was abruptly closed in late-1985 and was demolished for a non descript office building. A loss for movie goers and North Toronto residences alike.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater