No one has favorited this theater yet
The Star Theatre was one of two new-build silent era movie theatres each of which replaced Nickelodeon’s from the store-show era in downtown Eureka. The Crescent Theatre (which has its own page on Cinema Treasures) had launched earlier and the Star Theatre launched June 7, 1914 with Mary Pickford in “Hearts Adrift". The building replaced the Hatfield House and then the telephone company building when the contractors inadvertently collapsed the neighboring edifice. C.E. Huish ran the theatre.
Western Amusement Circuit took on the theatre converting it to sound in October 1929 running silent films three days a week and sound films four days a week to measure the public’s interest in sound films, Sound prevailed and the Star Theatre vanquished the Crescent Theatre.
New operators took on both the Star Theatre and neighboring Tintic Hotel. The theatre converted to widescreen projection in the 1950’s to play CinemaScope films. The theatre, citing lack of patronage likely to the impact of television, went out of business at the end of 1958. The neighboring Tintic Hotel burned down in 1959. A snow storm in March of 1973 collapsed the roof of the Star Theatre and the building was razed thereafter.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater