Fine Arts Theatre
128 E. 58th Street,
6 people favorited this theater
A small art house on 58th Street between Park and Lexington. It was built and first operated by Richard Davis, who later became a film importer. The theatre had a plain nondescript interior.
The Fine Arts Theatre opened on October 15, 1951, with the United States premiere of “The Lavender Hill Mob” (Alec Guinness), which ran for more than eight months and established the theatre as a formidable rival to the nearby Sutton and Plaza. Fellini’s “The Nights of Cabiria” had its US premiere here in October of 1957. The Fine Arts was one of the premier art houses in New York City during the 1950’s and succeeding decades. In 1964, Davis sold a long-term lease on the Fine Arts to the Walter Read Circuit for $1.5 million. It eventually became a chapel, under the jurisdiction of St. Patrick’s Cathedral, in 1978. The chapel has since closed, and the building appears to be boarded up.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater