Union Theatre

1510 Union Boulevard,
St. Louis, MO 63113

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Union Theatre

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Union Theatre was opened October 29, 1910. The Arthur Theatre chain (Franchon & Marco) took over the Union Theatre in 1925 and it seated 1,124. The Union Theatre was a large theatre for a neighborhood house. Two story with a large balcony. White marble front and everything inside was in a forest green and burgundy red. Large stage area with a large screen. The Union Theatre had a large chandelier in the auditorium shaped into a large ball with stained class of different colors that would dim when the features were started. It was closed in May 1938 to be remodeled by architect Bruce F. Barnes and reopened in 1939.

The changing neighborhood and blight caused the closing of the Union Theatre in October 1960.

Shortly after the theatre closed and Arthur Theatres stripped the theatre, it was converted into a church for the African American population that had moved into the neighborhood.

Contributed by Charles Van Bibber

Recent comments (view all 8 comments)

JAlex
JAlex on May 7, 2004 at 4:45 pm

Building permit issued in September 1910. Architect the firm of Duggan & Huff.

Owned by Shulim Sigoloff, he leased the theatre to St. Louis Amusement around 1934.

JAlex
JAlex on October 3, 2006 at 8:15 pm

Theatre closed in October 1960.

JAlex
JAlex on December 20, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Correct opening date is October 29, 1910. F&M/SLAC had nothing to do with the theatre until the 1930s.

spectrum
spectrum on November 27, 2010 at 4:50 pm

The outside now looks thoroughly modern – hard to say if iuts new construction or if they simply did extensive remodeling. There’s a modern addition on the side as well.

SethG
SethG on April 15, 2016 at 9:40 pm

It’s an absolutely hideous remodel, but that is the old building. Note the roofline under that ugly cladding.

JAlex
JAlex on October 6, 2017 at 5:05 pm

The theatre building is not the building at the corner but the white building just up Union.

JAlex
JAlex on October 6, 2017 at 5:32 pm

Theatre was remodeled in 1939; architect of this was Bruce F. Barnes. Theatre had closed in May 1938; reopened in April 1939. With new seats the capacity was listed as 925.

JAlex
JAlex on October 7, 2017 at 5:19 pm

To clarify: Duggan & Huff the architects of the 1910 structure; Barnes the architect of the 1939 remodel.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater