189 Church Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Opened on 17th January 1921 with Victor McLaglen in “The Call of the Road” and Isobel Elsom in “A Member of Tattersall’s”. The Regent Picture House was designed by Blackpool based architects Lumb & Watson in a Neo-Baroque style. The Regent Picture House has a magnificent white faiance tiled façade and a tall domed tower above the entrance foyer, on a corner site commanding the attention in the area. The tiling was provided by Middleton’s Fireclay Co. who’s ceramo tiles in white-glazed terracotta has proved to be a good choice of material, able to stand up to the elements in this northern seaside town. The auditorium originally had just under 1,200 seats, with seating provided on stalls level and 400 in a horseshoe balcony level. It is decorated in a Neo-Grecian style. The ceiling has a retractable roof with glass panels.
In 1969 it began running bingo on several nights a weeks and by 1971 had become a full time bingo club with drop ceilings installed which hid the original decorations. In recent years it operated as a snooker hall, which closed in 2010. In 2013 the building was sold and renovation/restoration work began to bring it back into use as a cinema and live performance venue. By 2015 the drop ceilings had been removed, revealing the original beauty of the interior of the building. The Regent Cinema re-opened 29th July 2016 using 124 seats in the circle.
The Regent Cinema was given Grade II Listed status on 23rd February 2016.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater