Grand Pussycat Cinema
7 people favorited this theater
Designed by Eugene DeRosa, the Trans-Lux Broadway Theatre was a small newsreel theatre, first opened in 1936. The entrance was on the west side of Broadway, just below the intersection with 49th Street. By the mid-1950’s, television had made newsreel houses redundant, so the Trans-Lux Broadway Theatre switched to double features or whatever first-run bookings it could get.
In December 1966, it was renovated to the plans of architect Drew Eberson and reopened as the Trans-Lux West Theatre on April 24, 1967 as a link to the circuit’s brand-new Trans-Lux East Theatre on 3rd Avenue. Trans-Lux tried to book the two theatres day-and-date, but that didn’t prove too successful because the Broadway theatre had a quite different clientele.
The Trans-Lux West Theatre closed in the 1970’s, but had re-opened by 1981 as the Grand Pussycat Cinema, with a spectacular neon frontage hiding its newsreel origin. The Grand Pussycat Cinema was so successful that it spawned a copycat around the corner on 49th Street called the Kitty Kat Cinema, converted from a restaurant.
Both were demolished in 1987 to make way for a skyscraper hotel.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater